Hi!!!

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Rob Antonishen
<rob.antonis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I posted this as a bug, and was told by Sven Neumann the behaviour was
> intentional and to raise it here.
>
> Currently, when saving a selection to a channel, either using the UI
> or via the PDB, the active drawable gets changed from the working
> layer to the new channel.
>
> I believe the active drawable should remain unchanged (i.e. where the
> selection was made).
>
> The current behaviour is confusing to a user because of the following
> fairly typical scenario:
>
> User wants to blur a portion of an image, but wants to save the
> selection for later use.
>
> 1) make selection
> 2) Select > Save to Channel
> 3) Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur
>
> Now the user is blurring the saved selection channel, not the layer
> they started on.

I agree, something similar to the process you describe above is more
like what I want to do, and because of this annoying behaviour I don't
use 'save to channel' at all ever. It's actually easier to create a
new layer and fill it with foreground color, and later transfer layer
alpha to selection.
While there definitely are some scenarios where I want to perform a
filter on a selection,  I will typically use QMask mode instead of
filtering a saved selection, and IMO this is more intuitive than the
workflow I see Sven has just posted about (mainly this is because
QMask display is reliable, and channel display requires
separate/repeated configuration to get consistent display results)

David.