I disagree with "of course" and "naturally".  When I close [child/sub]
windows[/tabs] in most applications, then reopen the [functionally]
same window, I expect it to come back in the same state it was in when
I closed it.  I regularly open and close the dockable windows, and
add/remove things to them, and the amnesiac nature of all apsects of
this process is very annoying.