The spec is here:
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification#exporting_files

Quick version:
The default export path needs a settings switch for whether the original file
path (number 3) is higher-priority than the most-recently-used paths (numbers 1
and 2).  This would support the use-case where input and output files are
associated by directory, but you may open multiple input files at once.

Detailed version:
My photo-storage hierarchy looks like .../photos/(date)/(filenames).
Whenever I modify an image, I save it to .../photos/(date)/pp/(original
filename) — "pp" means "post-processed"

Now, I open two images in gimp from different dates using my image viewer.  I
edit them, and then try to save them.  The first one works fine.  When I go to
save the second file, however, I end up (by default) in a directory associated
with the first file.  Furthermore, because I was in the image viewer (and not
the command line), I often have _no idea_ what the directory is that I now need
to manually navigate to.

In the case where I open a couple (>=3) images in a row from different
directories, this means that I have to re-find the images in the image viewer,
mentally remember the directory names, then manually navigate to the
appropriate
directories in the export dialog.  Suffice it to say, this is more of a
roadblock than a workflow.

On the other hand, there are other situations where I want all the photos to
end
up in one place.  For instance, when I post-process photos for a blog post,
they
will all end up in .../photos/pblog/(year-month)/(post title)/ .  Thus, it
seems
like both ways of handling this default ([1, 2, 3] priority as well as [3, 1,
2]
priority) are viable and useful.  This is why I suggest having a setting to
switch between the behaviors.

--xsdg