Joao S. O. Bueno (gwid...@mpc.com.br) wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 8:58 AM,  <oli...@first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> > (I also saw, that what on the GUI are Paths internally are called
> > vectors. To make things better undesrstandable, it would make sense
> > to give things the same name... but maybe there is more to vectors
> > and I don't see it so far. Why are there different names?)
>
>  will leave that up to Simon :-)

There already is an internal API that uses the "gimp-path"-prefix and I
wanted to avoid confusion. The new shiny "vectors" API should have its
own namespace, to clearly separate it from the old pesky
"gimp-path-*"-API  :-)

Also, the vectors infrastructure was designed to allow future extensions
that go beyond simple paths. The goal was to have a "vectors" object as
a container for strokes (i.e. connected bezier segments) or
circles/ellipses or contrast-following-segments. So it theoretically could
contain other stuff as well, going beyond plain "paths".

That aspect has never been fleshed out, mostly due to
UI-confusion-considerations.

Bye,
        Simon
--