On 03/22/2011 08:25 AM, Jacek Poplawski wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:19 AM, SorinN<nemes.so...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Jacek - you don't need CMYK for photos ["I need CMYK support for photo
>> retouch, to create better colors"].
> I am familiar with this opinion. I don't want to continue offtopic
> discussion in this thread, so I just give one example: curves. You can
> get more interesting retouch when using curves in CMYK and in LAB and
> in RGB than using only RGB curves. You can get more data from shadows
> by using K curve in CMYK for instance. You can increase contrast
> without touching the colors by using L curve. etc

We are talking about techniques to retouch photos on a mailing list for
the development of an image editing application, so this is not offtopic.

Why would you transform to CMYK to lose color information just so you
can increase the K value, rather than making a lossless transformation
into LAB and decrease the L value?

Note that with GEGL, we will easily be able to have adjustment layers
that work on the L component in CIELAB.

  / Martin

My GIMP Blog:
"Why GIMP 2.8 is not released yet"