On Tue, 01 Feb 2000, Kelly Lynn Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> GNOME claims GIMP as part of GNOME because GIMP is better than any of
> the existing GNOME apps.  They're trying to piggyback on our success.
> Personally, I think this is odious, but hey...

This statement is ridiculous.  They are not claiming that they wrote
the GIMP.  They just state that it will be included as part of the
Gnome-Office suite.  Besides, you should know that several of the
early and current developers of the GIMP are also contributing to
GNOME.  So it's not like the two projects are completely unrelated,
even if they are maintained separately and they do not depend on each
other.  In case you did not know that, will this fact make you stop
using the GIMP completely just because you think that some of the
people on this list have GNOME stamped on their forehead?

Please calm down instead of trying to start a flamewar.  This list is
supposed to be for people who intend to write code or contribute to
the development of the GIMP.  It is not for arguing like kids about
who does things better and whatnot.

My personal opinion: I'm all for using some of the GNOME things
(especially gnome-font, gtk-pixbuf and gnome-canvas) as long as they
do not have any dependencies on ORBit or other stuff that is difficult
to compile on non-Linux systems or stuff that is simply not needed.

-Raphael