On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:13:15AM -0500, Stephen J Baker wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Tom Rathborne wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 04:24:35PM -0500, Stephen J Baker wrote:
> > > I'm one of the developers working on the PrettyPoly 3D modeller
> > > ( and we have been talking
> > > about building a 3D texture painting system into our tool.
> >
> > I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:
> >

> > Not nearly as advanced as what you're talking about but it looks
> > fairly useful. I've never tried it.
> It neatly exhibits the exact thing we are trying to fix...when he
> paints the word 'GIMP' on the guy's chest, the letters come out
> rather distorted...because he's painting them in texture
> coordinates.  The approach we'd like to use would allow you to draw
> the letters directly onto the guy's chest - and have them look nice
> in 3D (although horribly distorted in the main GIMP window).

Texture Paint allows you to paint on the projected 3D model and then
extract a new texture from that via un-projecting ... certainly not
ideal due to sampling problems but still a fairly clever solution.

At least ... that's what I think it does based on what I see on the
web page.

--   Tom Rathborne     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--  "We promise according to our hopes, and perform according to our fears."
--                                     -- Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld