Hi.

To revive the gimp-perl support for my gimp installation I did a fresh
checkout of the gimp. Gimp-perl compiled and - after doing a separate
make install as root in plug-ins/perl it worked.
(BTW: Why is gimpdoc installed in /usr and not in my PREFIX?)

However, in the desire to keep up to date  :-)  I did an cvs update
and typed make in the top level source dir.
The location of gimp is not in my normal path. However, for my rebuild
of the gimp this should not matter, because it is older than the one I
am compiling...

Gimp Perl fails to build:
Making all in perl
make[3]: Entering directory `/unstable/src/gimp/plug-ins/perl'
Makefile out-of-date with respect to Makefile.PL
Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1 || /bin/sh -c true
/usr/bin/perl "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux" "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.005" Makefile.PL
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gimp... no
checking for gimptool... no
checking for GIMP - version >= 1.0.4... no
*** The gimptool script installed by GIMP could not be found
*** If GIMP was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GIMPTOOL environment variable to the
*** full path to gimptool.
configure: warning: ** unable to find gimp
./configure: no: command not found
./configure: no: command not found
./configure: test: -lt: unary operator expected
checking for glib-config... /usr/bin/glib-config
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
checking for libgimp/gimpmodule.h... no
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for intelligent life... not found
checking for _exit... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating config.pl
creating config.h
now invoking perl to complete the configuration...
+ exec /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL --writemakefile PREFIX=/usr

FATAL: unable to deduce plugindir from gimptool script

make[3]: *** [Makefile] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/unstable/src/gimp/plug-ins/perl'

What is happening here? Why does the second build suddenly depend on an
installed (older) gimp?

Even worse: after adding the location of gimp to the path gimp-perl
ultimately fails to build:

Making all in perl
make[3]: Entering directory `/unstable/src/gimp/plug-ins/perl'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/unstable/src/gimp/plug-ins/perl'

At this point the whole issue is no fun anymore and I usually replace
the plug-ins/perl Makefile with:

all:
        echo "Gimp-Perl sucks."
install:
        echo "Marc, please fix this."

Marc - could you please fix this behaviour so that people with zero
knowledge about the Gimp-Perl build process could conveniently build
Gimp - including gimp-perl - from CVS?

Bye,
        Simon

--