Ulf-D. Ehlert skreiv:
> Kolbjørn Stuestøl (Tuesday, 30. March 2010)
> [...]
>>>>

> And if we add a gimp-help-custom.css it will overwrite the user's
> stylesheet on every update.
>
> That's why I think we should not add a gimp-help-custom.css for any
> purpose -- let the user add his own stylesheet if he wants to make
> some personal customizations.

It looks like we are talking a bit behind each other. Perhaps because my
incomplete English.
I'll give it a new try.

I was not thinking of individual users which in my opinion does not
think a second on formatting the help sides. They are reading the help
files to learn something about GIMP. My intention was to give the
*translators* a simple way to add a few extra styles in addition to and
without affecting the common styles. Some language dependent fine tuning
so to speak.

By now the file gimp-help-custom.css is not in use but added to each
html head tag. (Perhaps as Ulf mentioned to get the individual user a
chance to add his own style in a simple way?) I therefore suggested
using this file if I would give my xx translation an additional style I
then could write the extra style into the
/stylesheets/xx/gimp-help-custom.css file without affecting the common
style or styles specific to other languages. The common files could be
changed without giving my language dependent file a thought. It is up to
me (or the language team in most cases) to keep my special stylesheet up
to date in case the changes affects my file.

For languages not using the language dependent gimp-help-custom.css this
file will be empty or not existing. The user who wants to change the
layout using this file will be an experienced user of style sheets
having no problems to add the additional commands whether there are some
existing text or not in the file.

Of course this solution gives the language team the freedom to
completely rewrite the style. But if they do, it will in case affect the
specific language only, not other users.

As written before, this is not an important matter for me. It was a
suggestion only. So you may forget it if you want to.

>> My suggestion was that gimp-help-custom.css could be used to
>>  language specific styles. If Norwegian is the only language that
>>  would like to use the smaller font in italic in image texts, I
>>  could put the style in the /stylesheets/nn folder. Of course the
>>  Makefile in addition needs some conditionals to select the
>>  language specific files. ("if LANG=xx then copy
>>  stylesheets/xx/*.css to html").
>>

> This feature is still there, look for the string "Copying
> stylesheets":
>
>       for file in $(srcdir)/stylesheets/*.css \
>                   $(srcdir)/stylesheets/$*/*.css; do \
>               if [ -f $${file} ]; then cp -f $${file} html/$*; fi; \
>       done
>
> Any CSS file in an language-specific subdir is copied to html (and
> overwrites the general CSS file which is copied before).

As you know I am not a Unix/Linux programmer, and I have not stepped
through the above sequence to see the contains of the variables. (As far
as I remeber from previous discussions in this list, there is no simple
step sequence in this programming language). But if this equation select
the language specific files it could be used to distinguish between
/stylesheets/xx. Then we already have a solution? (if we want to)

>> As the gimp22.css is listed downmost in the html head tag it is not
>> possible to override this style using the language dependent
>>  method.
>>

> Unless the above code is broken, it is possible. Just copy and edit.

Again, I was thinking of what the program does, not the individual user.

>> I have to select the alternate style sheets (gimp22.css) for every
>> single side [...]
>>

> This depends on the browser.

OK. I have to find out how.

Kolbjoern