Hi Brent,

I expect that you want more than just the green selection - you want what
the green selection would be if there were no roads/other data overlaid,

The best way I can do this in a reasonably automated fashion is:

1) Extract the roads as a selection
1-a) Colors->Components->Decompose, RGB, delete all but Green channel
1-b) Levels, adjust so that only roads are black and everything else is
white (be fairly generous with what you call a road - a little slop is
better than too little road)
1-c) Copy (control-C)
2) Back in original image, Create a new layer, transparent, select it as
active layer.
3) Quick Mask
4) Paste (Control-V), Anchor (Control-H)
5) Quick Mask off
6) Select->Invert
6) Select->Grow (2)
7) Fill with white (drag from toolbox)
8) Select->None

At this point you should have 2 layers; the top has all the roads covered
by white, and the bottom your original map image

9) Run the G'MIC plug-in (probably a separate download, google for it),
select Region Inpainting, OK with defaults
Wait a few seconds, and you now have a map that has just green and grey
regions with no red or hints of roads.
10) Delete the top layer that's no longer useful.

At this point the problem of extracting what you really want (an in-filled
green image) can begin.  Its a bit messy with your image due to compression
artifacts, but you can get decent results doing a Select by Color with
threshold=28, then Select->Shrink(1) followed by Select->Grow(1) to get rid
of the smallest objects, but there's still some garbage in the final
results.  Color-To-Alpha with white and then black can also produce a
semi-transparent image, but its got a lot of noise (other colors existed in
the image that are now really noticeable).  Experimenting with Posterize or
other color reduction/smoothing may be beneficial too, just to remove
compression artifacts.

This isn't suitable for anything scientific - the infill process is
certainly making guesses based on surrounding data which just doesn't exist
in the image - but hopefully it'll get you at least part of the way to
where you want to be.  You could script most of this once you find values
that work for you (though figuring out the G'MIC plug-in may be tough as it
just takes a string input in non-interactive mode).

Happy GIMPing,

Seth Burgess

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Brent Shifley