On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Daniel Smith <opened...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I ask if this decision to go to export vs. save, is it somewhat based
> around needs of people running gimp without the interface, as a server
> component?

No - it has to do with these two items, specifically:

For myself, export/overwrite still seems clumsy when working on
simple, one-off edits.  OTOH, I no longer have to worry about
accidentally flattening my 10-layer composition when saving a PNG and
then forgetting to resave as XCF.  I'm thinking the long-term gain of
not having to recreate hours of work is a big enough carrot that I can
bear the stick of forced overwrite/export.  I'm still getting used to
it though, and who knows - maybe export/overwrite can be refined a

Just my 0.02 to keep the flame war moving along nicely ;)