ad...@pilobilus.net (2012-05-06 at 2324.04 -0400):
> > -Why not add (to Gimp) the possibility to maintain an autosave copy
> >  in (.XCF format) each N minutes? And not delete it for X days?
> I would not use that.  For instance, just a couple of minutes ago I
> opened an XCF file, merged several layers for convenient export of
> some image elements to another XCF file, and closed the file without
> saving.  If an autosave hit in the middle of that, it would "commit"
> this strictly temporary state to my source file, wiping out layers I
> need to keep if I closed the file - or somebody tripped over the
> power cord - before reverting the changes.

When people talk about autosaves, they normally mean saving to
something like foo.xcf.auto, without touching the foo.xcf file at
all. It is a pretty common feature of old text editors and many other
apps, as in case of a program crash or a full system power off, your
work is not completly lost, and you can decide if using whatever it
managed to rescue is good or you prefer going back to the original