On Sun, 06 May 2012 23:24:04 -0400
Steve Kinney <ad...@pilobilus.net> wrote:

> On 05/06/2012 10:51 PM, John Coppens wrote:
> > -When starting to edit, why not immediately do a Save as xxx.xcf?
> That's what I do and it has come in very handy.
> > -Why not add (to Gimp) the possibility to maintain an autosave copy
> >  in (.XCF format) each N minutes? And not delete it for X days?
> I would not use that.  For instance, just a couple of minutes ago I
> opened an XCF file, merged several layers for convenient export of
> some image elements to another XCF file, and closed the file without
> saving.  If an autosave hit in the middle of that, it would "commit"
> this strictly temporary state to my source file, wiping out layers I
> need to keep if I closed the file - or somebody tripped over the
> power cord - before reverting the changes.

As 'GSR' also commented there are quite a few ways to avoid this
problem. The autosave could save a copy with the same name in a temp
directory, or add hashes (#yourfile.xcf#) or any other idea.

> > -Why not make the Undo buffer for the last N edited images
> > persistent for X days? Disk space is generally not an issue.
> That's an interesting idea.  Over the years I have heard a lot
> people "wishing" out loud that they could undo changes in a saved
> image after closing out.  Still though, there have been times when I
> had to repeatedly flush the undo buffer when using an older/slower
> machine to work on "big" files - a day's work could add up to
> gigabytes of saved buffer in some instances...

No doubt. Not unlike the cache of a browser... It's scary how much info
gets saved in a machine, mostly never to be used again. But still,
gigabytes are getting cheaper by the minute. Where's the time I my
first harddisk was 20-odd MB ;-)