"It's not logical to save a whole session if all one does is touch up
a jpeg file."

No, so then the logical thing is to export. Why is this such a
problem? Export is separated from save dialog to make it difficult to
accidentally lose you data. If you accidentally save to xcf rather
than export then no problem. If you do the opposite then it's possible
disaster. There have been a few occasions in the earlier Gimp where
I've exported when I should have saved. Not even a total accident in
some cases. I just though the editing was done whereas the new way
tends to remind me to keep the xcf.

For very casual users, this may not be understood but the new way of
doing it is more friendly to people who understand it. It's not
difficult to deal with. Should Gimp be dumbed right down to cater for
people who don't understand things or should Gimp do things the right
way? Sometimes free software developers can make bad choices, that's
true, but sometimes (as in this case) they don't pander to what many
users want, instead they make the right change for the better and I
believe that most Gimp users will in fact realize that this simple
change is better.