> I use .xcf files but my friends, my family members and most people, I
> think, don't use .xcf.

Yes, I think you have just about FINALLY hit the point.  I am NOT a developer
for GIMP, but I am enthusiastically in support of this new change so that I
CANNOT loose my multi-layer composition without explicit consent as could (and
did a few times) in previous versions of GIMP.    I am speaking for myself
here, but I would say "GIMP wants people to use GIMP's native file format".
There are a large number of reasons for this, but saving multi-layer
compositions is a key one.

I suspect another reason is to attempt to force recognition by print shops.
Ask how many print shops support psd files but not xcf?   I would bet that
number would be > 20:1 and one way to change that would be to try to push the
xcf usage among professional artists who use such print shops far more than the
average joe blow on the street.

>They need an image editor, not an xcf editor.

And these same joe blow users are NOT the intended audience of GIMP as has been
stated like....oh... 500 times or so...

> People will leave the world of free software to turn to proprietary.

Yep, and that's their right... why are you pushing so hard to keep them with a
software that is not targeting them as it's core demographic? Especially when
it's not a commercial project where anyone makes money from?

> Gimp is no longer the "universal Swiss army knife " of image editing,
> it's a fact.

Umm... what are you smoking?   The change in question did not REMOVE any
functionality for editing images.   It did not REMOVE any functionality as to
what format files could be saved/exported to.  It only moved functionality to
create a CLEAR distinction between "Saving" to it's native format, and
"Exporting" to every other format.  More importantly as mentioned several
hundred times, it reduced the code complexity AND(as much as possible barring
power loss or computer crashes) now prevents one from accidentally loosing a
multi-layer composition(which is the most important "feature")