On 09/14/2012 08:37 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Nik Omul wrote:

GIMP does not stand out as the only graphic editor that does it. Krita,
Blender, Synfig, Inkscape, MyPaint -

Nope. Krita and MyPaint don't do that.

MyPaint has a Preferences setting that configures default file format
for saving. Krita just saves to whatever you choose and doesn't warn
about possible loss of data.
About Krita
I dont see any problem about this behaviour. This is a lot better because it makes you free, it gives you more options.
Example 1
You decide to create a picture with layers. You create necessarily an .xcf file and you save it as file.xcf. Better, its my working method: you can save it as file-1.xcf, then file-2.xcf, then file-3.xcf, etc... You can go back when you want.
Example 2
You decide to edit a .png, improve color, luminosity, etc... No need layers. You open it, make the changes et you save it as .png

And if you talk to Krita developers,
they'll tell you it's their design choice.
I noticed that KDE developers are pragmatic.They try to free users, too.
Greetings
--
Maderios

"Art is meant to disturb. Science reassures."
"L'art est fait pour troubler. La science rassure" (Georges Braque)