2012/11/4 Steve Kinney <ad...@pilobilus.net>

> Ubuntu 10 has worked great for me but alas, Canonical has gone the
> way of the "dedicated touchscreen interface".  I will be bailing out
> when the version I am using reaches "end of life" next year.  Can't
> sit a very computer illiterate user in front of the "Unity" desktop,
> and expect them to figure it out and use it without problems.  Can't
> expect me to toss 20 years of reasonably efficient workflow habits
> out the window either...
>
> You don't need to do that. Using Ubuntu 12.04 with the look and feel of
Ubuntu 10.04 is rather easy. Of course, it needs a little work, but nothing
complicated. I'm using that on all my computers and on all the computers I
manage. The major visible differences is that I cannot use any more the
theme I liked (but probably still a little more work probably would do
that, if it was so important), and the System global menu is now hidden in
the Applications menu.

I did not yet try version 12.10, and Ubuntu Gnome Remix 12.10 seems
promising, but it uses Gnome 3, which some people consider as much
offending as Unity...

I have been very impressed with Mint - the other day I had occasion
> to use the Live DVD in conjunction with a printer/scanner on a
> random PC on a random office LAN, and the thing "just worked" all
> around.
>
> Mint is very pleasant and refreshing indeed, and I'll shift to it if
combining Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome 2 is impossible.

> Running an OS that works for not against the user is a very
> addictive thing.  Token on-topic reference:  The GIMP was the first
> major gateway drug that started me down the path to a 100% Free
> Software world.  Ubuntu stopped including the GIMP in its default
> installation package, and that's another strike against Canonical...
> sure it's stupidly easy to install, but dang it, GNU/Linux is
> supposed to include the GIMP right out of the box, is all!
>
> :o)

The only problem, in my opinion, is that Ubuntu still insists on fitting on
a CD instead of a DVD, for reasons I don't know.

--
Olivier Lecarme