Wow, thanks to both (all) of you!
I'll have to taste the mint, so to speak.
I was running Ubuntu 11 till my latest machinicide.
I thought though when I installed it that Linux has come
incredibly far in ease of use since when I used to use it
back in the old Red Hat 4, 7 etc command line startup days.
Of course, I just did it with an ubuntu cd I bought off of ebay for 4 bucks.
So no size worries for me.
But I did notice when I was searching that error above, or different
combinations of its terms included, that it seemed cross-OS, that
different #s (gmem.c: 165, 135, etc)  of it occurred in various linux
and windows versions that people had reported bugs or complained of.
Except for, notably, on Macs. Don't know fer sure about that though.
On second search through it seemed a lot had to do with corrupted
or unmanageably large conversion files etc. crashing memory.
This is a very similar error:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/846389
Dan