On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 05:40:44AM +0100, mamboze wrote:
> Ok, I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and I have GIMP 2.6.11  I well understand
> that this is the version currently available from the Ubuntu Software
> Center and doing a "sudo apt-get install gimp" tells me I have the latest
> version already installed. So I think that kind of covers points 1 and 2
> in the above.
> And while we're talking about 'basic' facts, what I was commenting on was the
> 'basic'  fact that while users on other platforms have access to GIMP 2.8
> binaries, Ubuntu users (particularly 11.10) do not. Why?

Because that's the version of Gimp that's tested and built with that
version of the operating system. If you want a newer version of Gimp, use a
newer Ubuntu or a faster-moving Linux.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you could enable a PPA.

Matthew Miller           mat...@mattdm.org          <http://mattdm.org/>