On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 20:21 -0500, Steve Kinney wrote:
[...]
>  You can only do two things with a float:  Make it a new layer by
> using the 'add layer' command, or use the 'anchor' command to merge
> it down into whatever layer or mask was already selected when the
> float was pasted into the image.

I'm sure you know this, but for others I'll add that this is not the
whole picture - there's lots more that you can do with a floating
selection:
. erase parts of it (it has an alpha channel)
. move it
. draw on it
. use levels/curves
. smile upon it lovingly :-)

Of course, you can do these things with a layer too.

Liam