On Mon, 2013-02-18 at 14:06 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:

> Current File-Open makes sense as it is, at least to me.

File->Save made sense to people too.

But if GIMP is an XCF editor that can only save xcf files, being able to
open non-xcf files is an obvious bug, a hole in the metaphor. It should
only open xcf files. Non-GIMP files are "imported" to emphasize the data
loss and that they are not primary.

> As for File->Import, I don't understand why it would ever replace
> anything - much less why the clean/dirty flag would be the toggle.
> Maybe I'm missing something.

Or I wasn't clear, I think.  It's not really clean vs. dirty, but
whether the canvas is new and unused and empty. E.g. try this in a word
processor: open the program and you get a blank canvas into which you
can type right away; open a file and it replaces that blank canvas.

This is actually a separate issue from open/import really.

Liam