> From: pat.mysterywri...@gmail.com
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 02:40:23 -0400
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Change the default Save extension
>
> Is there any way to change the format that's the default save. I don't
> use .xcf and prefer to use png or jpg. Why do I have to export them
> instead of simply save? Why did they change it in this version? It's
> annoying.
>
> Pat Brown
>
> http://pabrown.com/
> It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly
> - C. J. Cherryh

The reason is because a lot of other people use GIMP to work on complicated
digital art which requires keeping a file containing multiple layers, and some
of those people lost valuable project time and effort by saving to the wrong
file format before quitting GIMP.  (It's not the 'saving' part that was
necessarily the problem, but the 'quitting' part).

I agree the change may be difficult to get used to and it possibly was not
implemented or handled as well as it could be, but the new behavior is also a
standard design paradigm so for now your choices really do boil down to
adjusting to the new behavior or moving on to something else (I hear there's an
alternate GIMP fork which restores the old behavior).

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com