I accidentally replied off list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam Gleske <sam.mxra...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.8.6 Windows - Queries new Plug-ins at every
To: physoc <for...@gimpusers.com>

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM, physoc <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:

> >I downloaded GIMP today (16 August) and run Win 7 (64-bit). I've been
> >unable to get it to start because it crashes when 'querying plugins'
> >in the 'Startup' routine. If I close the GIMP window and try again it
> >skips across the previous plugin .exe but then hangs at the next one.
> >After ten-minutes of closing/ running/ hanging.....etc., I gave-up!
> >Free software is fine if it works, if it doesn't it's just a few
> >deleted bits in the Recycle Bin....
> OK, problem identified and fixed. My problem was with ZONE ALARM firewall
> settings. It required GIMP access to be set manually to allow internet
> access.
> This maybe what is causing the problem with others. Check any firewall
> settings.

 If that's the case I think you should discuss it with gimp-developer
list.  If there truly are programs "phoning home" in the plugins I don't
believe that is either necessary nor a desired behaviour.  Even if is what
is intended it should not bring down the whole program so I would consider
that a bug.
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org