I doubt that you can do much with these images other than extract the
thumbnail which is obviously quite small.
I used jpeg snoop (http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/jpeg-snoop.html)
to examine file number 4 and there are markers in the file that should not
be there. Perhaps you can use a hex editor to fix it, I have no idea.
On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Phil <skegg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Partha/all
> Ive uploaded/shared 4 pics to dropbox...
> 0001 is ok
> 0002 is 75% is ok
> 0003 is 5% ish ok
> 0007 is just another 5% ok file
> looking though the thumbnails more closely, even some of them seem to have
> corruption, ie pink lines though them, that look to be old ascii symbols,
> but cant see that clearly, as they thumbs.
> Ill try the Exif extraction tool in a bit, just to try and get something
> at least out of the pictures.
> On 05/01/2014 00:09, Partha Bagchi wrote:
>> Can you post an example of your corrupted jpeg file?
>> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Elle Stone
>> On 01/04/2014 04:27 PM, Phil wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>> Apologies to all for not starting a new thread, i have been an avid
>>>> reader of the emails for a while now, and read most of what people put
>>>> here, so sorry Michael & Jay who pointed that out to me..
>>>> ill try and answer all questions about whats what etc.
>>>> I believe the original pictures, that were taken in 2011, were taken
>>>> directly of the camera via USB cable, these were then stored on my
>>>> friends computer, and these were corrupted. I didnt notice it much at
>>>> first, as she asked me to look at something different (spamware), but
>>>> her screen saver, which must have read the pic folder, showed pictures,
>>>> that looked to be corrupted, i initially thought that these were to big
>>>> for the screen saver to handle, and dismissed them.
>>>> She still had the memory card, and the thumbnails, still showed fine on
>>>> camera preview screen, so she thought they were safe. But luckly, she is
>>>> not an avid photographer, and didnt even wipe the card! After that, i
>>>> Borrowed the card, and used photorescue (it saved me once so i was more
>>>> than happy to pay for it after my canon 350d corrupted a card that was
>>>> not quick enough), and it again found the same pictures corrupted.
>>>> So then began my quest for finding information/utilities to undo/correct
>>>> the files.
>>>> The Card reader is my own, that i ran the software recovery on, so with
>>>> the fact that since she has bought a new memory card, and it worked
>>>> fine, i assume its a faulty card? so i took a copy of what she had.
>>>> DSC0001.jpg seems to be fine, this is the first card picture on the
>>>> card, i dont know if any were taken before, ie new card or new camera,
>>>> but i could find out if needed. DSC0002.jpg, that is ooo 75% ok, but
>>>> after that, all the remaining 221 pictures are damaged, all only showing
>>>> about 5%.
>>>> I ran imagemagick "mogrify -strip name-of-file.jpg", that ella
>>>> suggested, and it gave me a comment unsupported marker type 0x3a
>>>> 'dsc0002.jpg' @warning/jpeg.c/jpegerrorhandler/313.
>>>> I did try loading into Gimp 2.8.2 on debian 7.2 after the imagemagick
>>>> command, and it also said this message (i thought i had tried it on
>>>> linux but obviously not), OSX 10.6 running gimp 2.8.3 didnt give the
>>>> same error message, and im sure windows 7 running gimp 2.8.6 (from
>>>> memory) also didnt give the handler error.
>>>> From what little research that i have done since, the error is quite a
>>>> complicated one. Something to do with data strips ending in FF D9 in a
>>>> hex editor. The 0001 file has 3 of these, the other 2 that i have tried
>>>> only have 1 reference (from searching the file).
>>>> Ella's other suggestion for converting from jpg to png, i entered
>>>> "convert DSC0002.jpg test.png" and it converted the image, with the
>>>> corruption, with no error's reported, also tried dsc0001 and it
>>>> converted fine (but the original image was ok).
>>>> Im assuming meta data is not transfered to a PNG, ill be honest, i dont
>>>> know much about them, as most of my work is saved back out as JPEG's
>>>> etc, apart from when exporting from inkscape, which prefers PNG's/Tiffs
>>>> Hmm, well, it does sound like file damage rather than just a case of
>>> messed up metadata or a version of jpeg that imagemagick can read and
>>> image editors can't. Perhaps someone else can help. I don't know anything
>>> at all about recovering damaged image files.
>>> If the thumbs are intact, this page:
>>> tells how to use exiftool to extract the thumbnail as a separate image
>>> file. As always, work on a copy of the original.
>>> Good luck!
>>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>>> List address: email@example.com
>>> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>>> List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>> List address: firstname.lastname@example.org
>> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>> List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address: email@example.com
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: firstname.lastname@example.org
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list