See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

So, if you scale down to 51% (which is about 2x) you first do a 2px Gaussian blur. Result here:

http://imgur.com/iZB3lmw

On 20/04/15 09:25, wk_ wrote:
Steve wrote:

I got the original image you posted, and enhanced the contrast with
duplicate layers set to Overlay mode, plus some color curve tweaking:
This is not my original post you are talking about, it is already renat's
posting to this topic. So for interest of clarity i post my OP again, because
there are described simple steps I did:

Hi!

After installing new Gimp 2.8 (on Lubuntu 14.04 64bit) for our employee, she
noticed, that scanned images are going pixelated (like moire effect) much more
than with previous Gimp when scaling images down. I made a little set to
comparision.

This is clip of original scanned (300dpi) image: http://pbrd.co/1CTKhHB

This is how it looks after scaling down (Sinc algorythm) to the 51 percent
http://pbrd.co/1CTKHO7

Same procedure with Gimp 2.6: http://pbrd.co/1CTL9vR

And scaled down with ImageMagick: (convert -geometry 292x360 100precent.png
51percent_imagemagick.png) http://pbrd.co/1CTLgYg

I like most the Gimp 2.6 version, it has no pixelation, but black characters
have still sharp edges. ImageMagick is also not bad. But Gimp 2.8 version is not
for my . What is wrong here? Is there something to make it better?

TIA,

Gunnar