You didn’t highjack a thread, I made a mistake and thought you had, and sent
you an apology. My bad.

If you have a question, just post it to the list with a subject line that is
specific but succinct. You will probably get a reply, but there is no
guarantee—someone who knows the answer has to see the question.The folks here
are pretty supportive. You should get an email with their reply. At least with
some mail clients, you should “Reply all” when answering a post.

As for your question on controlling the interface:

First, GIMP allows you to assign specific key commands to most of it’s
functions. In your first example, pressing Command (Control) L shows  the layer
panel if it’s not visible. This will only work for single commands. In your
second example, you would have to press a separate key combination for each
operation, either making the mask active or creating a new one. As far as I
know, you can assign the function keys to any command.

I also know that there are python (I think, haven’t programmed since FORTRAN)
scripts written to do specialized tasks, and these can be incorporated into
GIMP.

Hope this helps. If you need more help with this, I suggest reposting the
question since I muddled things when you first posted it.

Ross