Stephan Henningsen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have made a drawing and have scanned it.  The drawing is
> black on white paper (greyscaled, not 1-bit palette).

> <snipped...>

> But how do I converte all the white to alpha?  I've tried
> with Select By Colour, but it's not good at all, since alot

You need to turn your drawing into an alpha mask. Then
apply it to a black (or however you want to color the lines)
background.

Here is how you do this.

0. Add Alpha Channel if it does not already
have one  <Right Mouse Button>->Layers->Add Channel

1. Copy the image: Cntl-C

2. Fill your image with the color you want to have
for your lines (black typically)

3. Move mouse over Layers Channels & Paths to your
selected drawing layer; add Alpha Mask
<Right Mouse Button>->Add Layer Mask. Pick
"Black (Full Transparency)"

4. In LC&P, The layer should now have two previews;
the right one is black and has a white border, indicating
that it is selected.

5.  Paste the cut you made in step 1. (Cntl-V)

6. Anchor the pasted layer (Cntl-h)
7. You should now see your drawing in the layer's
right hand preview. It still has a white border around
it, indicated that it is a selected mask (but this may
be hard to see if your drawing has a white background

8. Invert  <Right Mouse Button>->Image->Colors ->Invert

9. Move mouse over Layers Channels & Paths to your
selected drawing layer;  Apply Layer Mask

That should just about do it.

Be good, be well

Garry