I've tried and tried, but I didn't understand how to create an animation
with two objects moving independent from each other.
(Creating an animation with 'Video'->'Move Path' works fine for one
object (= one move path).)

Could anybody tell me what I am missing here?

Besides of that: I searched for any hints in the mailing list before
posting.  Someone stated in february, that I am able to use the
Opacity-Option in the 'Move Path' tool to blend from the background
image to the source image.  That doesn't work for me!  I am always
getting animations with white backgrounds, no matter what background
image I use (colored or with some pattern - no difference: white