>Well, as I was explaining to someone just yesterday, there is still
>nothing like a pen, pencil or brush. When I want realistic artwork, I do
>it by hand. Then digicam or scan it, and then retouch, colour, add text or
>intensify features with the gimp and my wacom tablent, or ordinary mouse.

Yeah-- I'm happiest with starting with a hand-drawn sketch and then using
the gimp for colouring it.  Unfortunately, the results still seem too
artificial for my liking.

>http://www.katewerk.com/shikari/shikari.jpg
>http://www.katewerk.com/summerset/summerset2_color.jpg

Wow-- very nice.  Presumably you did the artwork by hand, scanned it,
retouched/coloured it via gimp, and added the text, right?  Again, very
nice.

>Perhaps I'm biased - I once worked at a sign company that invested in a
>computer design and layout system that literally doubled manufacturing
>time over that of the previous manual design/opaque projector technique.

:-)

I work as a programmer, and I'm quite convinced that computers usually do
not save time....

-Roy