I hate to do this to you, but what you really need is either Illustrator or
QuarkXPress, Indesign would probably work also.

Programs that output pages of that size usually are going to cost you money,
as affecting that sort of output isn't something 'the-everybody' needs to do.

Perhaps if you put in a feature req. on the gimp site something could get
done in the latest release?

Illustrator can do it definately. You could probably take your image to
kinkos and output a .prn file at the dimensions you need (postscript) and use
Acrobat to print that out.

-mh