Hago Ziegler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> things are getting better. See:
> http://www.hagoschaos.de/gi27/line.html image no.5
>
> I got it with the GUG-tutorial. The only thing I don't like at this
> technique is, that original angels get rounded.
>
> What I don't really understand, is what the quickmask is doing.
> When I follow exactly the steps that David Millet describes, I get no
> result. Am I missing still something, for example to activate the layer
> again at some point?
>
> Regards   Hago

The quickmask is just a tool allowing to work on selections. A selection in
gimp is a gray level image. It can be saved as such as a channel (look in
the select menu).
The interesting parts of this property are:
1- a selection is not just binary. Pixels can be 10% selected, 50%
selected, etc. This is controlled by the feather/sharpen in the Select
menu, and by the feathering options in some tools ("Select by color" comes
to my mind).
2- it is possible to apply any filter to a selection! This is great, but
not very known, mainly because it is not easily accessible in the
interface.

Unfortunately, there are no esay visual way to work with this property of
the selection. The marching ants only show a binary limit of the selection.
With gimp 1.2 (well 1.1.x to be correct), the developpers introduced a nice
visual way to handle this: the quickmask. The selection is represented as a
coloured semitransparent layer that can be painted on top of the image. It
is presented here:
http://www.xach.com/gimp/tutorials/quickmask/

Thus, one can say that the select->grow and select->shrink functions are
actually more or less equivalent to applying a blur+levels or a
dilate/erode to the channel/quickmask corresponding to the selection.

Sincerely,

Olivier.