http://www.d-contest.com/sum_02/week_04/flower0375xats.jpg

This is a beautiful photo--and only 640 X 480. But it is 250K jpg.....

I loaded it up in GIMP, and did a save, but instead of doing the default
jpg settings, if I uncheck optimize, and change the subsampling to 4:2:2 I
can get the image size up. And if I look carefully I can see the
differences.

But what exactly does optimize do? And subsampling? Grokking the GIMP does
not list these in the index. I know you know. The quality of the original
is lovely (if the image is rather large). I wonder how much tradeoff I get
with the jpg and if there are better choices for those jpg options than the
defaults.

Jim Clark