* and then Dave Neary declared....
> > > That said, all that you probably need to do is install the -devel packages
> > for
> > > the already-present gtk+ packages.
> >
> > Would you know how to check what I have or have not got? - I'm still
> > getting the glib error on 3.17
>
> rpm -qa | grep gtk
>
> will tell you what rpms with gtk in the name you have installed, and their
> versions (you should have gtk+ in there, and it should be version 2.2.2 or
> later, ideally). After that, you should check if you see a gtk+-devel package (a
> similar search for glib and glib-devel could be helpful too).

Right, here's what I have for gtk:

gtk2-2.2.1-4
gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-1.99.14-5
authconfig-gtk-4.3.4-1
gtkam-0.1.7-3
gtk+-1.2.10-25
gtkhtml2-2.2.0-5
pygtk2-1.99.14-4
pygtk2-libglade-1.99.14-4
gtk+-devel-1.2.10-25
usermode-gtk-1.67-2
pygtk2-devel-1.99.14-4
gtkglarea-1.2.2-16
gtkhtml-1.1.9-0.9

...and for glib:

glib-1.2.10-10
glib2-2.2.1-1
glibc-2.3.2-27.9
glibc-devel-2.3.2-27.9
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.10
glib-devel-1.2.10-10
glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9

and the last few lines for the ./configure output:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.2.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.

> > Thanks for taking time out to help Dave, much appreciated ;-)
>
> No problem. By the way, would you mind keeping this on the list? I guess there
> might have been a reason to take it off list, but I don't see one :) So if you
> have any other questions, could you put gimp-user on the cc, please? Thanks.

heh! How odd. The first mail I got from you ended up straight in my
inbox rather than the gimp mailbox so I figured you wanted the
discussion off-list for some reason! ;-) - List now cc'd....

So, does that output give any clues? All it tells me is that I should be
better at doing stuff like this heh! - I can't fathom it....?

--
Nick W