On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:12:10PM -0600, Eric Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However, would you consider removing ESC as a binding to pop you out of
> full-screen mode?  I think F11 is a sufficient (and common) toggle for

Well, ESC has a very low probability of being remapped by e.g. a window
manager. F11 is far more often mapped to some wm functionality.

And the basic problem with your approach that I see is that ESC has the
perfect meaning for going out of fullscreen mode. It's the thing users
naturally try. F11 is about the last key users will try when they want
to get out of full-screen mode.

This is important for fullscreen mode because fullscreen mode is often
very surprising to users, and they might want to get out.

> What does anyone else think?

At least I think it's not perfect that esc cancels both, but esc canceling
both is far preferable over using F11 for leaving fullscreen mode. Many
users at our instituta have mapped F11 to open a new shell window for
example (using the window manager) or move windows, so fullscreen mode
would turn out to be an unpleasant trap.