On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 03:24, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:12:10PM -0600, Eric Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > However, would you consider removing ESC as a binding to pop you out of
> > full-screen mode?  I think F11 is a sufficient (and common) toggle for
>
> Well, ESC has a very low probability of being remapped by e.g. a window
> manager. F11 is far more often mapped to some wm functionality.
>
> And the basic problem with your approach that I see is that ESC has the
> perfect meaning for going out of fullscreen mode. It's the thing users
> naturally try. F11 is about the last key users will try when they want
> to get out of full-screen mode.

Dejavu perhaps, but can't help myself. F11 became a common toggle for
fullscreen mode across browsers. But I know Marc doesn't quite accept an
'everyone else does it' ;).

Sven might be arguing the fullscreen mode is there for previewing, I
like to edit large images in this mode and I believe that's what Eric
enjoyed on the mode too. Esc to exit the fullscreen _preview_ mode makes
a perfect sense.

In case the fullscreen mode is to become useful for editing too (and I
believe that is even more helpful) it shouldn't exit the mode on Esc for
the reasons Eric described. Making it a pain for artists using GIMP
extensively because it may be confusing to new ocasional users is not
the thing to do.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>