On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 07:00:45PM +0100, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 12:20:06PM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> >
> >>1. We don't have directions for including XSane in the new
> >>Gimp.
> >>

> >this is up to the XSane people.  gimp developers have nothing to do with
> >it.  however, one of them hacked it in about 10 minutes but out of
> >respect for the sane people does not commit it.
> Where should he commit it? The XSane project doesn't have a CVS - and if
> it has, they hid it pretty good. AFAIK Sven sent his changes to the
> XSane maintainers.
well, i guess it is a matter of the gimp looking for it during the
configuration process and when finding it, make the proper information
available and give it a menu entry.  look for xsane on the computer
doing the building that is.

i was suprised that when i finally got my scanner to work, that all the
gimp did was to call the Xsane gui up via the gimp menu.  i have been
using linux for a long time, where you use the software you need to work
on the thing you are working on.  i have no problems using xsane to make
pngs and then using TheGIMP to open them and work on them -- it is not
unlike my camera.

so it is a matter of whose app discovers the others app on the computer
and then put the information into the menu.  you might think that it was
a little intrusive for the Xsane people to just go ahead and grap a menu
position from TheGIMP.

difficult to say which is the more respectful approach.

btw, how does TheGIMP find the tiff libraries?