On Tuesday 11 May 2004 11:01, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I am using debian/sid gimp package and I found that I can open tif with
> lzw compression, but now write these kind of files.
>
> Is there any reason for this, i.e.:
> - Is tif/lzw compression excluded from gimp or only from the debian
>   build?

only from de debian build.

> - if only from the debian build, isn't the patent already phased out so
>   that it could be included?
they say it hasn't expired in certains countries (not USA) yet.
Anyway, you can either - install the TIFF and GIOF plug-ins from the "non
free" or "non us" repository (I am not a debian man), build the Gimp yourself
from the sources in gimp.org, or contact your favorite debian gimp packager.

> Thanks a lot and best wishes
>
> Norbert
Regards,

        JS