Sven Neumann wrote:

Barton Bosch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I do have another question, re:  the Perl plugin though.  When
trying to compile it it says that it can't find gimp when it
tries to run the test program:

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GIMP or finding the
*** version of GIMP. If it is not finding GIMP, you'll need to
set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit
/etc/ to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run
ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove
it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying
configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your
path (version 1.3.15+ required!)

I tried putting the location of the gimp binary into and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, but no joy. What is the story here? Was I supposed to put the location of a library in the path variable? Something else entirely? Anyone have any solutions?

Please read up on ld (man ld). You will need to configure the location
of the gimp libraries, not the executable.

Ok, thanks for the pointer to the documentation. The warning message in the configure log was a little opaque for my (lack of) softare compiling skills.

Unfortunately, I guess I spoke too soon about the successful
gimp2.0.1 install.  The next day my whole system melted down and
stopped functioning.  I did a hardware reset and it crashed
completely before it got past the x login screen.

I did a complete reinstall of the root partition and tried to
figure out if it was some mistake I made in compiling the
various libraries and plugins or if it was one of the RPMs that
I used.

BTW, I am not running a vanilla rh 9.0 installtion here, but the
Planet CCRMA digital audio sub-distro w/ low latency kernel,
etc.  The CCRMA install and configure followed the basic shrike
install, updates with the rh and ccrma rpms -- everything
running smoothly to this point.

Then I installaed xach's update rpms.  I noticed a couple of
glitches in gnome, though it was basically functioning.  In an
attempt to isolate the problem I decided to reboot before adding
any other software .  The system crashed before it could
shutdown cleanly so the trouble msut be some conflict between
xach's rpms and either the CCRMA modifications or the basic
Shrike installation.

When I have more time (three reinstalls in 2 days, ugh) I will
free up some room on the HDD and make a separate partition for a
vanilla rh 9.0 installation and try to upgrade that with xachs's
RPMs and then compile gimp2.0.1.  For now I guess I am back to
using gimp1.2.3.



Gimp-user mailing list

Reply via email to