Hi,

"Ken Tanaka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'd like to have the mouse cursor arrow appear in the window of an
> acquired screenshot. This is for when I want to illustrate a
> pulldown menu item. When I use the Acquire screenshot functionality
> of the GIMP, the cursor doesn't appear. Is there a way to have the
> cursor show up? Perhaps a different screenshot program, but all the
> ones I've seen on my system also leave the cursor arrow out of the
> screenshot.

The way the X window system works basically makes it impossible to
take a screenshot that shows the mouse cursor. So you need to add it
later (programmatically or manually).

> I'd rather not have to draw a cursor on the image later. Might not
> be so bad if there was a brush shape that looked like an arrow. Is
> it possible to add a cursor arrow brush? If so it's probably already
> been done, but I don't know where to get it.

All cursors that GIMP uses are available as PNG files in the GIMP
source tree. Standard X cursors can certainly also be downloaded as
image files somewhere. In order to create a GIMP brush from such an
image file, all you need to do is to save it in your personal brushes
folder ~/gimp-x.y/brushes.

Perhaps someone wants to make a nice collection of mouse cursor
brushes for The GIMP?

> I'm using GIMP 1.2.3

Please upgrade to GIMP 2.2 then. That won't add a mouse cursor to your
screenshots, but there are enough other good reasons.

Sven