http://www.macromedia.com/support/fireworks/export/fw_export_vs_sav/fw_expor
t_vs_sav02.html

And, no they don't publish the extensions.  Anyway, Fireworks can import PSD
files with the text layers.  I'm 101% positive Adobe didn't tell Macromedia
how to do this, so if Fireworks can, maybe some smart GIMP person can.

HTH,

Greg