Kalle Ounapuu wrote:
> "For example, I tried for over an hour to figure out the bug reporting
> function on teh
> website. I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'm sure it's easy for a
> programmer..."
>
> I agree with that... after XX number of seconds going through that thing
> myself, I gave up.
>
> It isn't easy enough to use.

There is a tradeoff between ease of use and the quality of bug reports.
If it is too easy - say, just a text field to enter something into, we
would drown in lots of duplicates and useless bug reports. For example,
it is important that the person reporting the bug

a) searches for duplicates
b) is reachable after reporting it, for further questions
c) specifies as much information about the version of gimp he's using
d) takes a moment to describe a way to reproduce the bug

This are the most important steps, but this list can probably be
extended indefinitely. You don't have to create perfect bug reports, but
should at least try to.

If you have a look at the Bugs page, there are links to the most
important bug listings, as well as links to create a bug:

http://www.gimp.org/bugs/

This should help you to get step a) done. Step b) is automatically done
by the need to register before creating bug reports.
c) is supposed to be handled by Bugzilla itself, it provides form fields
for many of the needed values. d) has to be handled by yourself - put
something useful into the comment field.

HTH,
Michael

--
The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp