Owen wrote:

I have the latest versions of libjpeg, libpng, libtiff and libXpm installed with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set accordingly. I also downloaded and installed gimpprint, and gimp-help.

After three compile attempts...

1) I still cannot save in any other format other than .xcf
Errr, well I presume you are using Gimp-2.2 something.
Yes, Gimp 2.2.6.

File->Save As->Select filetype by extension.
If that's not there, you have something wrong?
It is there.

2) There is still no 'file/print' menu option
Well you have to have an image loaded before it will show "Print"
Even with a .xcf image saved then opened, there is no "print" menu option

3) The help-browser module still doesn't get built

Read the results of your configure, it will probably tell you why it's not
being built, so then go install what is missing
config.log contains no gimpprint errors:

configure:31674: checking for gimpprint-config
configure:31692: found /usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config
configure:31705: result: /usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config
configure:31713: checking for GIMP-PRINT - version >= 4.2.0
configure:31824: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/include -L... -L... -lgimpprint -lm >&5
config.status:1134: creating plug-ins/print/Makefile
ac_cv_path_GIMPPRINT_CONFIG=/usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config
GIMPPRINT_CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include'
GIMPPRINT_CONFIG='/usr/local/bin/gimpprint-config'
GIMPPRINT_LIBS='-L/usr/local/lib -lgimpprint -lm'
GIMPPRINT_REQUIRED_VERSION='4.2.0'
GIMPPRINT_TOONEW_VERSION='4.3.0'

Owen
Graeme