> Von: Carol Spears <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:50:36PM -0500, Eric P wrote:

> > I can't remember if I asked this before or not, but does anybody make
> > any 2.3.x packages for deb?

> it is easy to build your own on debian.  i build mine in /usr/local
> though so, it is not the same as getting it from them.

If I'm not mistkane, it is not advised to install into any /usr prefix - the
release notes mention /opt, and I've chosen a directory in my $HOME.
> the developers have a plea to distributions to not distribute the
> development version (still the odd numbers: 1.3, 2.1, 2.3...) somewhere
> in the source where they might read it.  the debian packager reads it.

Not that strict anymore, all what is requested is to make it clear that this
is a development release. Some people qrgue that it is too eraly in the
release cycle, OTOH binaries for the development releases could e.g. help
participants of http://openusability.org/projects/gimp to evaluate more
recent versions of The GIMP.

> > Can anyone spank me onto the straight and narrow here?
> >
> spanking is not my department.

For simply testing the 2.3 releases, I wouldn't create a Debian package,
just install it where it can do no harm to your system.