On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:26:47PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm one of the members of the gimp documentation team and want to ask
> you for a favour. To reduce the size of all the screenshots to the
> clipping that is of relevance I'm in need of a template that I can
> easily  use to cut of the unwanted borders. To make clear that there
> is something cut of from the picture, the border should be look
> similar to a sawtooth - an irregular one - bit hard to describe, but
> I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.
>

> Any gfx wizards out there that want to support the GIMP manual??
> Thats you chance!

i have successfully used the distress selection script-fu to make the
edges of screenshots look like torn paper.

the sawtooth that you describe might be easier to achieve by making a
path:

 .               .

    .    .
 .
      .          .
            .

i don't know if those points demonstrate what i am trying to say about
using the pathtool, but the pathtool should be able to do to a gimp
image what i am unable to show via email, and that is to connect those
points with straight lines.  that can be turned into two different
things.  a selection by which to make your image smaller with and the
path can be exported to a simple SVG file and shared among all doc
writers who need the same effect.

the svg can be transformed using all of the gimp's transformation tools
and will fit any gimp image with only a little bit of work.

carol