On 6/24/06, Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It doesn't have to be *versus*, both can be useful for different things.

no, I'm not arguing one better than the other...

> There are two main differences that stood out to me.
>
> The first is the amount of affects and tools available.

Adobe have provided limited support to third party developers over the
years allowing them to create PSD files and third party plugins.  Using
the PSPI plugin* by Tor Lillqvist you will be able to use some of these
plugins with the GNU Image Manipulation program if you want.

I like gimp not having as many. :)

> The second is the way the filters are applied. I like how photoshop
> does it better. Instead of applying to the image itself... it acts
> more like a filter. You apply it to the layer.

There is a request for these kinds of live layer filters in bugzilla.
(Photoshop has normal filters too.)

> Now for my suggestion on the website. I think it would be very helpful
> for have a section that would be like a cross between an FAQ and a
> help desk.

It might be appropriate to use the Wiki for that kind of information but
it depends what you have in mind and the developers want.

I'm a web developer. And could quickly create a website to do it. :)
I just wouldn't want to if noone would be interested in something like it.

> Basically, people could post their questions on how to get a desired
> effect on an image.

People use the lists for this kind of thing, also places like Deviant Art
and the GUG
http://gug.sunsite.dk/

There are two problems with the these three methods that I can see.
The number 1 reason is that a lot of people won't use them. A lot of
people don't even know what  mailing lists are. Or won't want to
register on a forum just to ask a question.
The next big reason I don't think those methods are good enough, is
that not everyone will find them... I sure didn't with google.

Also, the same things get asked over and over. The idea behind an FAQ
is to answer those questions asked over and over again once and for
all... so to speak.

I think it should also be located (or linked to) on the official gimp
website. People will find it a lot faster that way.

You may see things differently than that, and that's ok. We all are
entitled to our own opinions :)

Joey