Sven Neumann writes:
> On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 21:52 -0500, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> > Thanks for confirming that it is not intentional behavior, that's all I
> > need to hear.
>
> You misunderstood me. It is of course intentional that you don't need to
> use a checkbox in the tool options to do something as important as
> creating a rectangle from center. [ ... ]
> All I am saying is that the tool is not finished yet

If it helps, a little while ago in CVS builds I was seeing
(and being frustrated by) the same behavior the original poster
mentioned: that the rect and ellipse select tools would frequently
and mysteriously snap into "expand from center" mode even when I
hadn't pressed any modifier keys, then would stay there.

I was sure it must be a bug, or a failed experiment: I have
confidence in the folks who are working on improving those tools.
And sure enough, it no longer happens in current CVS (and hasn't for
the past week or two). It looks like it was just a short-lived bug,
now squashed. Rect and ellipse select are working fine now.

--
    ...Akkana
    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional": http://gimpbook.com