Yes - Converting to RGB and resaving as .gifsolved the problem.  Thanks
to all.  And yes, too - I understand the effects of the various common
image types.  In this case I need to stick with .gif unless the client
says different (and I will offer some explanation).  Too bad IE (6) does
not offer better support for transparency with .pngs.  The pngfix
workarounds are fatiguing.

happy to go,