I inherited an image, a logo, in which I need to swap out one color,
solid region, for another.  Seems simple.

I open in gimp, select the region using, have tried both 'Select regions
by color' and 'Select contiguous regions', then apply any new color and
I end up with a mix of the original and replacement color.  After
befuddling myself for an hour (including using other image editing
software) I copied the image from .gif to both .jpg and .png format.  As
a .png or .jpg the color replacement works fine.

See the 3 'raw' images at

www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/images/shape.gif
www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/images/shape.jpg
www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/images/shape.png

I don't really want to be using .jpg or .png images unless I have to.
So the question, what is causing the replacement to fail and is there a
way to make or convet  the .gif accept the color swap?

-Bob