here is a sample comparing 2 400 pixel circles created with Chris's
instructions

www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/images/400x400_circle.gif
www.dottedi.biz/codesamples/images/400x400_circle.png

1. make elliptical selection (select elliptical region)
1.1. hold the shift key down as you drag and this will force a perfect circle
2. fill with black
3. selection->shrink->enter width of desired stroke in pixels
4. clear

the .gif version is expectedly jagged, the .png is acceptably smooth.