You could do this several ways.  What I usually do to spot adjust a single area
is to
make a selection around with the lasso tool.  Then I turn on quickmask and
gaussian blur
the mask to give it a nice soft edge.  Then I turn the mask back into a
selection.  Then
I used the curves tool to locally adjust the area that I want.   I have never
used the
dodge and burn layers for local stuff.

However, I suppose you could duplicate the layer, then use that same selection,
invert
it, then cut away the part of the image you don't want to be affected, then
make a
dodge/burn layer above this modified duplicate.